Grievance Procedures

If you wish to file a grievance, please contact the Patient Services Department in your Network service area.

Patient Experience of Care

As a dialysis patient, if you are not satisfied with the care you receive you have several options for filing a grievance:

  • You may choose to file a grievance directly with your dialysis facility
  • You may choose to file a grievance with the Network
  • You may choose to file a grievance with your State Department of Health (see list below)

Filed at Your Dialysis Facility

Following federal regulations, all dialysis facilities are required to have a grievance process meant to address patient concerns. You may wish to speak with your dialysis Social Worker or your Facility Administrator if you would like to file a grievance.

It is NOT mandatory that a patient follow the facility grievance process before contacting the Network. However, this can be a fast easy way to fix a problem at your dialysis facility and we encourage that you consider it as an option.

Filed with the ESRD Network

The Network processes grievances from patients, their representatives, family members, care partners, professionals, advocates, and State Survey agencies, related to the quality and safety of care in ESRD certified facilities. Concerns can be filed with the Network by phone, fax, or postal mail.

When the Network is contacted regarding a concern, staff will attempt to resolve the issue in one of the following ways:

  • Assist the patient to organize his/her thoughts about a situation and provide feedback so that he/she can address the issue on his/her own, if desired;
  • With permission from the patient, the Network may contact the facility directly to gather information and attempt to resolve the matter;
  • The facility may be required to complete an Improvement Plan to correct problems;
  • More serious issues may be referred to the Network’s Medical Review Board (MRB) for review;
  • Life-threatening situations will be referred to the State Survey Agency: The State Departments of Health.

Grievances are generally resolved within a few days. More complicated cases may take longer (up to 60 days in some cases). In those situations, all parties will be notified of the expected date for the conclusion of the investigation.

Some concerns do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Network or would be more appropriately handled by another agency, such as the state health department. The Network can refer patients to those identified agencies. In more serious circumstances, the Network will contact the agency directly.

Tools and Resources

The Patient Grievance Process Toolkit Flyer by the National Forum of ESRD Networks
Dialysis Patient Grievance Toolkit by the National Forum of ESRD Networks
Grievance Reduction- Network's 2017 Grievance Quality Improvement Activity (QIA)

  Grievance Posters

Posters available upon request. See list of posters by states below:

Filed with Your State Department of Health

The State Departments of Health also investigate patient grievances.  If you wish to contact the Department of health, you may do so using the below information:

Connecticut Department of Public Health
Facility Licensing Investigation Section
410 Capitol Avenue,
Hartford, Connecticut 06134
Local: 860-509-7400
Fax: 860-509-7538

Maine Department of Health and Human Services
Licensing and Regulatory Services
State House Station #11
41 Anthony Avenue
Augusta, Maine 04333-0011
Local: 207-287-9300
Tdd: 800-383-2441
Fax: 207-287-9307

Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Division of Health Care Quality- Complaint Unit
99 Chauncy Street, 3rd Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02111
Local: 617-753-8150
Fax: 617-753-8165

New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
Health Facilities Administration-Certification
129 Pleasant Street,
Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Local: 603-271-9049
Fax: 603-271-4968

Rhode Island Department of Health
Division of Facilities Regulation
3 Capitol Hill,
Providence, Rhode Island 02908
Local: 401-222-2566
Fax: 401-222-3999

Vermont Department of Aging and Disabilities
Division of Licensing and Protection
103 South Main Street, Ladd Hall,
Waterbury, Vermont 05671
Local: 802-871-3317
Fax: 802-871-3318

Upset Female Patient

To file a grievance, contact:

Brittney Jackson, LMSW, MBA
Patient Services Director