IPRO End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Network of New England would like to notify facilities of a national initiative from the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to reduce the rate of all bloodstream infections to insure better health for people in the United States living with ESRD.
Infections are the second leading cause of death in ESRD patients. The cause for a majority of these infection is catheter- related blood stream infection. As a result, CMS has developed a three part project to ensure safety and a high level of quality care to all ESRD patients.
- Reduction of Reduce Blood Stream Infections (BSI) using Center for Disease Control (CDC) core interventions for Disease Control (CDC) Core Interventions
- The reduction of Long Term Catheter (LTC) use
- Encouraging participation in a Healthcare Information Exchange (HIE) platform
A priority of the Network is to serve as a resource to both dialysis patients and professionals throughout project activities. Open communication about existing processes, barriers, and successes are encouraged. Network staff members are interested in supplementing resources for what is working in your facility, not adding additional burden.
Tools and Resources
In 2017 the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated the recommendation of the use of Chlorhexidine - Impregnated Dressing to aid in the reduction of central venous catheter. Please click here to review the updated recommendations and guidelines.
- Hemodialysis Central Venous Catheter Scrub-the-Hub Protocol
- Provider Poster
- Provider Fact Sheet
- Educational Courses: Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings - (CEU available),
- Hand Hygiene Audit Tool
- It Only Takes A Minute to Save Your Lifeline
- Hemodialysis station routine infection observation
- NHSN. Checklist: Hemodialysis catheter exit site care
- Catheter Connection and Disconnection Audit Tool
- Hemodialysis Catheter Connection Checklist
- Hemodialysis Catheter Disconnection Checklist
- AVF/AVG Audit Tool
- AVF/AVG Cannulation Checklist
- AVF/AVG De-cannulation Checklist
- Patient Poster
- Patient Fact Sheet
- Patient Brochure
- Hemodialysis Vascular Access options Flyer
- Lifeline for a Lifetime: Planning for Your Vascular Access guide book
- FAQs about Catheter-Associated Bloodstream Infections